Sunday, May 17, 2009

Community Ambassador

Megan, Myself, Melanie, and Carmen
ANU has started a new program to seduce rural students with the glamour of a higher education. ANU students can vounteer their time to visit Young, a rural town about three hours inland, and engage with school students.
Yup, we're definitely out in the country now
The idea being that through class participation, tutoring and offering a new perspective on studying and education we will be able to entice more students to tertiary education, and hopefully to ANU. On the 6th and 7th of May I joined fellow Fennerite Megan (arts), ambassador organisor Melanie (law), and Carmen (visual arts, arts, pschology - she's done it all) on our first visit to Hennesy Catholic College
Megan and me at Henessay, ready for our first day at school
and Young High School. I spent the two days helping prosective science students with diseases (yr 12), building model atoms (yr 8), and working through chemical equations (yr 11). Shy at first, even the most unstudious of students were quick boast their knowledge with a miniscule if prompting.
This library is not quite as comprehensive as Chifely, but it does feature TinTin
The evening allowed for the four of us to bond in the local pub before we retired to our cabin at the Young Caravan Park (the same one I stayed in while on tour with the science circus in 2007!). Most importantly I got the double bed, they say it's because I was the only male but I think its because they all think I'm old.
The grass looks awfully green given this so called water crisis.

2 comments:

Alcifer said...

When did you head over to Young?

Alcifer said...

Oh, I see now. 6th and 7th o' May.