Monday, July 13, 2009

The Bike That Phill Built: Brakes

There's not much to brakes.

Small and black - if I drank coffee, this is how I would like it
The frame I chose does not allow for disc brakes and they would be a waste of money for what I am using my bike for, so I was looking for cantilever brakes. There were lots on the market and I had a good hunt checking our the Shimano, SRAM, and Kore range to name a few.
It's an awfully small item to stop an awfully big bike
As I was buying stuff from Chain Reaction Cycles I first checked what they had in stock and then read some reviews. In the end I chose the Kore Race Cantilever brake as they offer easy to access and change brake pads, simple design, and they can't be bought in Australia.
The AVID 6 from SRAM apparently squeal a lot and their design looked like it could pick up a lot of gunk.
I would squeal to if I saw this
The Shimano brakes seemed overpriced for what I got
Kore Race Cantilever Brakes at $43.19 each = $86.38

Total

Frame Set $1099+
Wheel Set $ 495
Handlebars $135
Headset $ 77.50
Cassette $ 89.90
Crankset $198.02
Rear Derailleur $108
Brakes
$86.38

$2288.80

No comments: