Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sega na lega - No worries (Waya Lai Lai)

Waya Lai Lai boasted long lovely beaches, mad rock formations, and an awesome bar on the deck.
Waya Lai Lai from a long way up
I spent most of my time amusing myself by reading in hammocks, working on my mid-term report, playing volleyball, and tasting cocktails. Activities offered included a walk to the summit of their hill for sunset, and snorkling in the nearby reef.
We climbed to the top of that rock
By far the most humourous event was the summit walk. I befriended a seasoned British traveller and with a group of about twenty other island hoppers we were led to the top of the hill by a guide. The walk was difficult for people who did not do much bush walking, but Peter and I found it fairly easy. We sat at the back helping Katie, Helen (remember them), and their friend Rachel (also doing the same tour) on the more treachourous sections. They whinged a lot.
Katie, Helen, and Rachel struggling up a hill
At the top we had to make our away across a narrow rock path with a sheer drop one side. It was quite windy and given my dislike of heights it rasied my heartbeat a little.
This dog follwed us up, picking the most inopportune times to get tangled in your feet
The trip down was even more fun (but very slow), the sun had set and light was in demand. A view from the top
The guide a handed out a few torches and some industrious travellers had their own, however, there was no way near enough to go around. Enter the Gatt and his LED Lenser head torch. I became an instant hero with the torch that was able to light the path for anybody with 50 meters of me (perfect for night time trail running).
'The Gatt' in his preferred habitat - can often be found saving the day
Peter dry sense of humour and my ability to make anybody fall over by removing light at opportune moments, coupled with testing our aim by throwing nuts at Katie, Helen, and Rachel (it took them a while to realise what was happening, but at one stage Katie did say 'are people throwing things at us). Pete scored the only hit, striking Helen. Oh the hilarity.
Reef snorkelling was also pretty good. We swam in the ocean for 30 mins and looked at birghtly coloured fish. Not much more can be said about that.

Others who were on the walk, for one and a half days we were bestest buddies
After the summit walk I befriended some others - Laura, Claire, Loci, Pete and I spent the rest of our days swimming, drinking on the beach, drinking in the bar, and just chillin' in hammocks.
The beach party: Pete,(the french guy whose name I couldn't pronounce), Laura, Claire, me, and Loci
We learnt a 'Bula Dance' - a fijian dance that changes slightly depending on the island you're on, a short play depicting Tom the first missionary to the area (he dies in the end), and traditional Fijian dress and weapons. I was incredibly sad to leave these new friends behind, but that's the life on Fiji.

No comments: