Monday, May 23, 2011

Third time - and it was lucky

For the third year running Fenner Hall has won the interhall pool competition. Unlike last year, which was a decidly one sided affair, this year we had to earn our top spot. Each hall or college put forward four players ranked 1-4. Each player than played a single game against all others within their teir. This year I managed to only win 5 of my 7 games (2nd in the top teir), with the top ranked player from Johns taking the top honours of winning 6 from his 7. At the end of the afternoon Fenner Hall and B&G tied for first place and so a decider was played. A single game between one member from each Hall. I was a little surprised to see that B&G put in their 2nd teir player. It turns out they had stacked their 2nd divisions with their best player. Unfortunately the final game was marred by slight controversy. After breaking and potting a ball Keith (the B&G player) failed to nominate a colour before shooting, thus fouling and giving me two visits. He claimed not to know the rule (not my problem) and the B&G spectators thought I was being pedantic. From there I was always in control (even though Keith is a really good player). I was able to win without taking any chances except on my final shot in which I gently massèd the cueball around a coloured ball to pot the black.

The unbroken line shows the straight path of the cueball would not strike the black.
The dashed line shows the path I sent the cueball on to win the game.





2 comments:

Alcifer said...

Arsey bastard!

Scarykrill said...

The diagram is pretty accurate - you'll also notice that even if I had a straight line shot at the black the angle to the pocket was less than 90 degrees (thus making it impossible). the only way to sink it was too curve the cue ball so that I could effectively have it came into the black at a wider angle.