Monday, July 28, 2014

Rugby League World Cup 2013

An opportunity presented itself like none other; the opportunity to attend an actual world cup event. For some of you this may be a regular thing but for me this was a first (although I did go to a few Olympic events in 2000).
The real reason anyone goes to the rugby.
In October 2013 the Rugby League World Cup was held in Wales and England. At the time I was staying with Amanda and Goof in Swindon so we traipsed down to Cardiff to watch the opening ceremony and series opener Australia vs England.
The opening ceremony
There was a hostile reception from the UK crowd and for the first half I was concerned I had chosen the wrong nationality to be born to. Before we knew it the Aussies were 10-0 down, but some Cronk, Smith, and Thurston magic powered us to victory.

 England kick off in the opening match
A month later Goof and I found our way to Old Trafford for the Final against New Zealand. Despite the Aussie domination of the competition thus far I still remember the previous world cup that led to a shock defeat to Kiwis. 
Slater takes nap as his skills at fullback were unnecessary.
This time there was nothing to fear as Slater and Thurston tore apart our Southern neighbors. The anti-Australian crowd was a little disappointed as the green and gold hefted the cup high...
Aussies do a victory dance.

No comments: