Monday, May 25, 2015

Cambridge University Footy Presentation Dinner

In the middle of April Gemma and I headed back to Cambridge for the Cambridge University Aussie Rules Presentation Dinner. It was a black tie affair, which I was woefully under prepared for. I did my best to obtain the correct attire for the evening, but alas came up wanting. So I wore a ...black tie.
This is a good photo of Gemma and I. The photos taken later on progressively show my inability to stand with her support.
The dinner was held at Downing College with a champagne reception, free flowing wine, and an awesome two course meal. Not surprisingly a large part of the night was presentations. Speeches were made, medals were presented, and the msot skilled and best-looking of the players won individual prizes. 
The dinner
Now, I am not going to lie, I was a little tipsy by the time the presentation part of the evening rolled around so I am a bit unsure of all the individual winners. Sandy won the MVP, Phil (the other Phil) won something, and I got the Golden Trowel!
Using the Golden Trowel to eat dessert.
There was a whole big story to the Golden Trowel. It was used to dig the holes in the footy ground to put up the goal posts and they stumbled across a skeleton (or something like that). The trowel is now given out to best newcomer each season. Donal proudly told Gemma and I that he had won it the previous year, snatched the trowel to show us where his name was engraved, and then sheepishly remembered he had gotten outrageously drunk at the presentation dinner and lost the original Golden Trowel. Mine was the replacement.
The team.
Finally, after copious amounts of wine and a plethora of team photos we hit the town. I don't remember much from this except been a demon on the dance floor. Most importantly the Golden Trowel survived the trip to the club.
 Donal, Aoife, Phil (the other Phil), and me. Proud to say I am yet to lose the Trowel.

No comments: