Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Gemma's Birthday in Dublin

Earlier on this year, in February, on a date that coincided with Gemma's Birthday, Gemma and I went to Dublin for the weekend. Dublin is an excellent place to visit in February, for while the weather isn't great, it does provide an excellebt excuse to enter a pub when it starts raining. Plus, they make a good Guiness.

Even the Predator can't turn up a good guiness! This is the second predator statue I have seen, and now I wonder how many pther capital cities in the world have hidden Predator stautes.
It was an interesting trip as we had both been to Dublin before, so it was more about finding the nearest donut store to visiting the sites.
That said, no trip to Dublin is complete with a photo of the Spire (and Gemma makes me put selfies into my blog)
It was a bit if a whirlwind of pubs, so recalling when we went to each place is a bit tough, but I do remember the key bits! On Gemma's birthday I played coy about what I had planned, after getting her good and liquored up I walked her to a nice restaurant, just before we entered I told her the secret pass phrase and then took her downstairs away from the restuarant, surretitiosuly pressed a hidden button and watched as the the bookcase in front of us slid aside to let us into a hidden speakeasy. What's it called? Well never you mind. How did I find out about it? Never should you know. Where is it located? Some things a meant to be a secret. So romantic I would date myself.

The people in the background indicate it is perhaps not the best kept secret in town.
The following day we caught a train to DĂșn Laoghaire to catch a comedy show and a bit of weather. Three aspects of this day trip were memorable:
  1. The comedy show was pretty good, but the supporting act was terrible. Interestingly, the supporting comedian was the younger brother of the actual act.
  2. We found a cider called Orchard Thieves (or, Teheeves, as they say it in Ireland).
  3. The wind, the rain, the waves!!! I tried to walk along the pier, but staying on one's feet required was nigh on impossible. I got as far as I dared, but there always was the real concern of getting washed away by the waves, or blown over by the wind. Never have a seen its like before, but I gather this is not uncommon in coastal areas of the UK as each winter there are stories of people getting washed off rocks and piers.
Not quite Hurrican Irma, but still pretty hairy.
We returned back to Dublin wet and somewhat tipsy.

Gemma acting tipsy.
On our final evening we saw a play called The Pillowman. I found it fascinting as it was about stories, and each of the stories in the play was as well written and constructed as the play itself.

I think the barista was as surprised as I was when I asked about the riddle.
Other than that we strolled through parks, visited museums, checked out the castle, and looked at street art. I was also able to bring my 22 years of education in excellent use by answering a riddle and winning a free cup of coffee. It was Gemma's birthday trip, so I gave it to her and everyone felt like a winner.
Especially Baiky

No comments: