Friday, December 21, 2007

Fifth Leg - Phillip Island to Melbourne

Day 16 started as a bit of a worry, the weather looking a bit dull for our momentous return to the mainland. We arrived at the Ferry catching place nice and early to ensure we didn't miss it. It rained a little bit on our journey, but nothing like day 1. I managed to get another flat and spent a good ten minutes in a bus shelter changing my tube and removing the offending shard of glass. A friendly bus even stopped and waited for me - for some reason expecting me to get on despite the fact I was reattaching a wheel, putting my helmet on, and tying my bag down. I got a wee bit bored riding through the populated area and started taking artistic shots.
Front wheel of my bike.
My beautiful face and some lush scenery.

We arrived in Frankston about lunch time. Chris, Jules and I went looking for a Barbar to shave us with a cut throat but to no avail. However we did find a woman in a box. She wrote messages on the screens with white board markers and you could write back. She refused to speak and could write amazingly quickly backwards. In a bold move I got her to sign my shirt. I spent quite a long time topless as she wrote me a message. We finished the afternoon by catching a movie - The Hitman (based on one of my favourite playstation games) and listening to live music whilst drinking beer. This was a very short day - 30 km, but our total was now a whooping 926 km total.

Day 17 - the final day. We got up late and rode leisurely as a group from Frankston through to Melbourne. Multiple times we were passed by yuppies all decked out in the riding gear, they passed us with a healthy look of disdain on their faces at such a rag tag mob - wearing cheap gray t-shirts with texta scrawled all over it, riding bikes that didn't cost more than a second hand car, one even had a bag tied down with straps. Those bloody wannabies don't even know the meaning of a long days ride, they're too content riding to the next coffee shop so they can lounge around in the tight clothes and their helmets on their heads (they annoyed us a little).

We happily continued on our journey ringing our bells merrily. Together we arrived at Fedration Square at lunchtime. Chub joined us for the celebrations along with our friends and family.
The team arrives safely.
Left to right: Myself, Danene, Chris, Jules, Chub, and Emily.
We ate lunch and drank beer. A good time was had by all.
Where did we want to ride to Guys? Right Here!!!
Day 17 - 44km. Questacon to Federation Square - 970km.

No comments: