Monday, April 13, 2009

Fenner tops the Art Shield

After first term 2009 Fenner Hall has successfully won all three Arts event. An unheard of feat this puts us in a sensational position to regain the much coveted Arts shield. The first two events - trivia and chess - have been the domain of Fenner Hall for many years. We have won interhall trivia two years running (I was part of the victorious team in 2008), and the interhall chess trophy has decorated our common room since at least 2006. This year however was something special.
Despite the Arts committee doing their best to ruin our chances in the third and final interhall event for first term by announcing the date of the competition less than a week bef0re it was held Fenner managed to put in its best performance yet.
Civic pub - I have won a hat-trick of pool tournaments here
On Tuesday the Fenner Arts committee announced our annual pool competition would be held on the Wednesday, so we could pick a team for the interhall Thursday competition.

I had to leave this party, with free food and grog. In the end it was worth it (I won a $30 gift voucher.
Althuogh underprepared I left a social get together at Johns, grabed my trusty black cue and headed down to the local pub for a few hits. In the past four years I have entered three Fenner pool competitions and managed to walk away victorious from all of them, and 2009 was no different.
People tremble when they see trusty black come out
However there was no time to celebrate. The very next day I teamed up with Isaac (our best player, a no show at the intra hall tournament), Abigail (females first), and Lucy (females second). As I was males second Lucy and myself paired for mixed doubles and away we went. My decision to forsake pride and allow Isaac my place as Males singles proved to be an excellent decision, with the him only losing one game. Abigail showed similar finesse as she lost only two games, both of which happened due to bad shots on the black ball.

Lucy, my esteemed mixed doubles partner. We lost only one important game, but it was the one we had to win.
Lucy and I were less successful, but still managed to win the majority of necessary games (many were dead rubbers due to Abi's and Isaac's skill). At the end of the day we finished equal first with Ursula and UniLodge, a feat never before acheived by a Fenner 8-ball squad. We are a bit disappointed we didn't win outright as one of the games we lost was to B&G, the worst team there, or that the fact we beat Ursies and UniLodge in the Round games did not give us a head to head victory.

No comments: