Sunday, September 5, 2010

ICCC39 - When too much chemistry is not enough.

At the end of July I attended my first chemistry conference. It was in Adelaide and Chemists from all over the world dropped by to introduce the latest research the international academic community. For those of you who have never been to a conference before, the day is filled with talks of approx 20 mins each outlining cutting edge research.
Cutting edge chemical research
The attendees who are not speaking are invited to supply an A0 poster portraying how they are making the world a better place through chemistry. Some of the world's preeminent scientist also give quite exciting hour long talks at the begininning of each day. All in all the day is very exciting for those who enjoy academia.
At the beach in Adelaide with fellow Phd chemists Karl (New Zealand) and Rashmi (Melbourne)
The nights, however, a very exciting for those who enjoy a tipple or two of water is on hand. Networking I think they call it...
Dan 'networking' with a pig. I bet this never happens in Adelaide
I met some awesome people from all around the world, but mostly I spent time with the Kiwis, Germans, and Polish contingent. However I did immensely enjoy confusing the Japanese by speaking to them in their own language.
Highlights include the following:
  • I had heard about Adelaides giant balls, but they had to be seen to be believed

Liam (Engalnd) and I emasculated by giant steel balls

  • I also visited the zoo and lions and tigers and bears (pandas!) oh my. I also saw a snake feeding
A real live panda bear that is not sleeping(apparently they sleep a lot)!
  • On the last day Tom (polish) and I went to the wildlife park. Due to the copious amount of alchol consumed on the previous night we missed the bus we had to catch to get there so we walked up a narrow windy road for about 7 kms to get the park (quite dangerous). The animals were all aussie natives. We unexpectedly ran into another groups of chemists who were not aussie nativesand I felt superior by knowing more than the others around me about the fauna. As I had to catch a plane that arvo, Tom and I walked back down, but this time through the national park using my awesome watch/wristtop computer to guide us back.

There are some Germans patting the Dingos, they did this for about 15 minutes
  • At the beginning of the trip involved sitting with the Kiwis playing cards and drinking beer just 5 minutes after I had met them. My watch's weather alarm starting going crazy and I mumbled off hand there was a storm coming. A quick glance outside showed a bright sunny day. Later that we exited the pub into a downpour. Everyone was very impressed!
  • Mike, Scott, Dan and Matt are are about to be very impressed

  • Five of us Aussies sneaking off the a pub on one night, followed by a small contingent of kiwis. People sent messages to friends and supervisors, and than wave after wave of chemits appeared at this quant little pub. The owner was so stoked he stayed open for us every night just waiting for us to come back. And go back we did.
  • The Dog and Duck (or was it the Duck and Dog). For one night we owned this place
  • An aussie meat stone grill. A stupendously hot piece of rock is brought out and a plate with uncooked meat. You put the meat on the grill and cook it. AWESOME
Raw awesomeness - about to be cooked

Thanks all for the good times and great memories.
Oh what a trip!

















No comments: