Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Journeys - Torquay

So, I’m in Melbourne with as motorbike and a grand scheme to travel the 850km or so to Adelaide with Michelle via the Great Ocean Road. It was a pretty simple plan with some minor difficulties, they being sports bike, passenger, luggage, Lorne Festival, and weather (that final comment will make sense later).
Michelle, or, as her T-shirt states - SuperWoman
The luggage problem was solved with multiple occy straps and the rest with sheer minded doggedness . I am always nervy riding around bigger cities because a) lots of traffic makes is unsettling in a strange place, and b) I don’t have any street directories for them and getting lost is easy. So Michelle and I wobbled off from my brother’s house on the 28th of January heading towards out first destination: Torquay.
One gearsac, one hiking bag, 1 sleeping bag, 1 sleeping mat, 2 backpacks, 4 occy straps, 3000 kms
I giggled at the amount of traffic heading in the opposite direction for the cricket, but this humour was short lived as I took a wrong turn and immediately found myself stuck in said traffic. I swore multiple times whilst sweating in high heat in the traffic.
A beach at Torquay (not Bell's)
We were in traffic for the next 107km because of the Lorne festival and because the Great Ocean Road and Christmas a synonymous for the majority of the population of Melbourne.
Kleemo and I in our natural habitat performing an ancient meeting ritual
3-4 hours later we pull into Torquay stopping at Kleemo's humble abode, which we made the base of our operations for the Great Ocean Road. I was great catching up with old mate again and we got up to our usual tricks. We drank copious amounts of alcohol, played copious amounts of pool - I even won the first couple of games before Kleemo got his eye in (I lost the next million).

The intense concentration speaks volumes of the importance of this game

Kleemo surfed, I ran, and Michelle sun baked (literally). In between doing all this we feasted at Australia's best Coffee Club and scoffed amazing amounts of Gelato. Only once did I mention I'm friends with Layne Beachley's sister.

Also, what is a trip to visit Kleemo if you don't get to see your name written in pee!

Welcome to Australia!

No comments: