Sunday, December 4, 2011

Final Days

The end of my tenure at Fenner is nearing an end (actually at the time of writing this article it has already finished), but there is still one formal ball to be had before I leave the twin towers that epitomise the Australian tertiary education.

Georgia and Bec in the first photo and Isaac and Blake in the second - sassin' it up
I attended my final Valedictory dinner. It was a fun affair as usual. As Sub Dean as I was seated on one of the VIP tables, which means free alcohol, and so I (over)indulged in booze.I picked up my third (and final) graduation mug and received my final award.
The Head of Hall, the lovely Dr. Jasmine Jury, decided that Fenner needed an award that recognizes long-term commitment. After too many years of involvement it was decided to name the award after yours truly. This means a) I can now walk around legitimately asking "Don't you know who I am" and b) I now have an award at the ANU named after me!
The draws women like moths to a flame!
To win the award, a resident has to be in their last year of residence, have lived at the Hall for at least three years, being involved in interhall arts and sports throughout their residency, have held positions as an office bearer and on the social committee, and to have performed well in the roles. I was the inaugural winner, but another ressie also one it this year (Laura Clarke).
That's Laura on the right, with Georgia
The prize for winning such a prestigious award - we are now VIP alumnis, and will be invited back to every Commencement and Valete Ball as VIP guests until Fenenr Hall stops being Fenner Hall or they lose my address. An honour board will be put up in the common room next to the other major prizes (Head's Collegiate, Fellows Prize, Arts and Sports person of the year, etc) which will record all the recipients and the year they win the "Phillip Gatt Award".

Here I am with Louisa and (2010 Sub Dean) Kate.
After Valete most of the SR team ended up at Knightsbridge where we drunk cheap cocktails and made insightful but humorous observations about the world around us.
Is this the last time Grimesy, Michael Dan and me will get to sing our song - We four men, drinking beer...

1 comment:

MShiers said...

*Laura on the right with Georgia?

...no wives, no Lives, all we do is DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!