Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Bar that Gemma Built

There has been many a post of the things I have built on my blog, but anyone who knows Gemma and I is well aware that Gemma is the true craftsperson in this relationship. So, here I present a short story of the bar Gemma built, and the small role I got drilling a hole!
Gemma seemed confused when I told her the hole was filling with water.

It was a strange situation that Gemma find herself in. Too many bain-maries, a sink bowl, a beer tap, and a driptray with nowhere to put them. So, like any logical Brit would do she built an outdoor kitchen in order to fully appreciate British sunshine (ref needed).
Gemma turns this into a bar! And she manufactured some sunshine!
Her bar design had all the modern necessities - bain-maries for keeping soup warm or for fondue, a sink connected to a hand pumped faucet for water, a fridge/freezer, and a beer tap. We then of course added the luxury of a gas cooker in the form of a BBQ.
 Gemma designed the kitchen part, I designed the bar part.
The design was quite simple and deviates her prowess as a kitchen designer. We started by building the frame out of wood.
Our (I mean Gemma's)  frames
The frame was developed using boxed sections, with each box housing a different kitchen component.
This section houses the sink (left frame) and the bain-maries. Behind you can see the sections for the fridge and the kegging equipment.
The frame was then sheathed in plywood that had been cut/drilled to fit each component.

The plywood benchtop with the BBQ and bain-maries shown. 
Finally, the entire unit was painted to add a small form of weather proofing, we plucnked some bright lime green tiles on the counter surfaces, and slipped in the BBQ.
Any guesses on how long will these items stand the outdoors?
The inaugural use of the Grand Design was such a momentous occasion that Mum and Dad travelled all the way from Aus just to attend the feast!

Dad, Gemma, and I with a mountain of food.
Gemma's parents joined us too and a merry time was had by all (except I burnt the sausages).
 
 Gemmas parents and Ilona join Gemma, Dad, and I.

No comments: