Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Bike That Phill Built: Pedals

For the pedals I relied on advice from the experts at Maladjusted. I wanted clip-in pedals, not the usual flat pedals I'm used to.
These are the dreaded clip-in pedals, garaunteed to a make anybody look foolish. They're also a nice anti drink-riding device
There were two good reasons for this - actually I lie, there was one good reason, clip-ins allow you to pedal on the full cycle of the crank, not just the on the downward push. The second reason is because I think they make me look more like a die hard cyclist. The reasons against getting clip-ins were I'm sure I'm going to crash because I was unable to get my foot clear of the clip, and the shoes look geeky.
Pedal + crank arm = forward motion (my crank is bigger than your crank)
The other decision involved in choosing my pedals was a cost to weight ratio. How much was I willing to spend to save on those precious extra kgs. As I am known far and wide as Bill Gates Jnr I opted for the cheapiness of weight. I finally chose the Shimano PD - M520 (they had to be Shimano to match/fit my crank arms).
And they say the subtle art of product palcement is lost! Hollywood here I come
Model Number PD-M520-S
Series SHIMANO
Pedal System SPD
SPD Cleat Surfaces both surfaces
Spindle Thread BC 9/16" x 20 T.P.I.
Spindle Material chrome-moly
Cartridge Spindle yes
Cleat Retention Indicator yes
Cleat Retention Adjuster yes
Mud Shedding Design yes
Pedal Body Material aluminum / barrel finish
Reflector SM-PD22
Average Weight 380g (pair)
What it will sort of look like when attached to the bike.
Known for being moutain bike pedals, it means that the design allows it to shed mud easier (marked in the specs as mud shedding design!), and as I am building a touring bike, which will have to traverse off road conditions this is a good thing. It also has cleat surfaces on both sides of the pedal, which means that I can clip in to either side.
It is a thing of unconstructed beauty.
Shimano PD M520-S = $58.45

Total
Frame Set $1099+
Wheel Set $ 495
Handlebars $135
Headset $ 77.50
Cassette $ 89.90
Crankset $198.02
Rear Derailleur $108
Brakes
$86.38
Front Derailleur $54
Seat Post $54
Brake Levers $45
Handlebar Tape $22.60
Tubes $12.60
Tyres $71.95
Chain $31.50
Pedals $58.45

$2638.90

No comments: