Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Bike That Phill Built: Shifters

There are a couple of types of shifters - there are some that are incorporated into the brake levers and cost the GDP of small island nations, there are some that sit on the frame and cost as much as a large macca's meal, there are some that sit on straight handlebars, and there are bar end shifters that attach to the end of drop down handlebars.
A shifter set - what I couldn't figure out, though, is why is the box so big for such small pieces
Good shifters are important as they regulate the gear change, and a smooth efficient transition from one cog to another is paramount when your struggling up a steeply inclined rocky path. As I find it necessary to eat a couple of times a day I couldn't afford the fancy brake/shifter combination so I opted for the next best thing: bar end shifters.
Ahh. I see now - there's more stuff underneath. Looks awfully technical.

Model Number

SL-BS77

Series

DURA-ACE

Shift Lever Type

Bar end

Cassette Capability

9-Speed

Front Shifting

Double/Triple

Material

Aluminum/clear coated

Shift Cable Casing

SIS SP41

Average Wight

178g

The shifters are nice, but I think the rug needs a good vacuum!
The set that I bought were the Shimano DuraAce SL-BS77 model. As my front and rear deraillers were Shimano the shifters had to be as well (SRAM have a different gearing ratio), and for those that now a little bit about bikes you will know that DuraAce is the top of the range racing series. The important aspects I had to take into account was that the shifters could cover the range of my front and rear cog sets. As my rear cog set (cassette) is a nine speed I had to ensure the shifters was compatible. I also had to ensure that the shifters were compatible with a three ring front cog set (front shifting).
So close, if I wasn't drunk I'd be excited!
Shimano DuraAce SL-BS77 = $153.00 (including 10% discount)

Total
Frame Set $1099+
Wheel Set $ 495
Handlebars $135
Headset $ 77.50
Cassette $ 89.90
Crankset $198.02
Rear Derailleur $108
Brakes
$86.38
Front Derailleur $54
Seat Post $54
Brake Levers $45
Handlebar Tape $22.60
Tubes $12.60
Tyres $71.95
Chain $31.50
Pedals $58.45
Shifters
$153.00

$2791.90

Nearly there, all I need is the saddle, the stem and to attach the front forks plus a few little odds and ends like brake cables...

No comments: