Sunday, November 8, 2009

Road Relay 2009

Road relay is a running event held at ANU between the Halls and Colleges. Eight legs consisting of four 1500m circuits and four 3000m circuits are completed by four males and four females from each university residence. Last year Fenner came 3rd in an amazingly close finish involving Bruce and Burgmann. This year we turned up with a stronger team and hoped to push for a second place finish. We started well and entrenched ourselves in third place by the fourth leg (that's me).
Here I am coming in to the finish.
Once again running the 3km leg I moved myself from anchor to fourth runner to help ensure the other colleges couldn't catch us. I wiped 10 seconds off my personal best with a time of 10mins 15secs.
A photo taken about two seconds later; yes it does look like I'm about to cry, and yes I wanted to.
Unfortunately we were unable to catch John's who finished in second 2mins ahead of us, or Burgmann who had a team of super heros and finished 2 mins ahead of Johns. Our second consecutive thrid place in Road Relay is a nice change from three years ago which was our fourth consecutive last place. It also enabled us to finish second on the Sports shield, the highest we have ever finished in my long time at University.

The 2009 Road Relay Team: Buddee, Tani, Me, Martyn, Jusatin, Tara, Flick, Michelle

No comments: