Monday, June 15, 2009

The Bike That Phill Built: Handlebars

There's not too much to handlebars and I just took recommendation from one of MalAdjusted many experts.
Not a MalAdjusted expert
I took it for a 'testride' on one of their store bikes. The handlebars are 42cm drop downs and quite lightweight. Most notably they flare out near the bottom allowing for a more comfortable wrist position.
Testriding Bond's invisibike - a gadget yet to make its debut
This can be compared to the angled handlebars of touring motorbikes (Harleys, Shadows, V-Twins etc) as opposed to straight bars found on most road bikes (any bike I've owned, Pinko's GS, etc). There are also small bumps on the bottom of the bars which are supposed to be ergonomic
http://www.salsacycles.com/images/zoom_bellLap2.jpg
BELL LAP BAR
  • Designed for cyclocross use
  • 7075-T6 aluminum
  • 12° flared drops and larger bends
  • Anatomic bend, double-groove
  • 26.0 or 31.8mm clamp, 42-46cm sizes
  • 144mm drop, 82mm reach
  • Black bead-blast finish
This little beauty caught me by surprise to at a hefty $135. I thought that included everything to attach it to the bike but I was very, very wrong (this will happen a lot). I also need to purchase a stem (read: pissweak piss of metal to attach handlebars to forks). Next on the agenda is the headset, a very important ball bearing kit that allows the forks to turn smoothly in the frame (notice how on my bike the forks aren't attached yet).
The headset should join the fork and frame, then I can get the bike standing up!
Salsa Bell Lap Bar = $135

Total
Frame Set $1099+
Wheel Set $ 495
Handlebars $135
$1729

Next is the Headset. this piece of equipment is quite complex and I assumed it was simple and just part of the handlebars too. Ooops!

No comments: