Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Bike that Phill Built: Wheels

My second purchase for the bike was a set of wheels - there were three components I had to consider:
1. The rims
2. The spokes
3. The hubs
Once these were picked I had the option of putting the wheel together myself or allowing professionals to do it for me. In the end I opted for the professionals after research into the process. Installing spokes and than adjusting spoke tension is highly involved and I decided that after this bike is finished I can pull apart the wheels on my old bike.
I'm smiling as I'm yet to see the price - honestly who would have thought wheels could be so expensive. On the upside the store threw in rim tape for free
1. The rims I chose were an Australian brand known as Velocity. They produce extremely high quality wheel, but due to the fact their Australian they are not well known. The rim size is 700c (29") and is standard for touring bikes - as far as I know its the largest wheel diameter. The rim I chose is called the DYAD and is shown below. Its made slightly wider than usual rims suiting loaded touring. While its not the lightest rim available its the far from the heaviest and it offers the strength necessary for long distance rides.

700C BSD: 622
Weight: 480g
ERD: 596
Black
2. Spokes are a little less involved, really all I had to decide on was how may. The more spokes there are the more weight the wheels can hold without buckling - esp. on rough roads/tracks, however they do add overall weight and this is an easy, nonexpensive area to cut down on weight. I was planning on having 28 spokes front and 32 back but in the end I took the advice of Phil Byron, my bike mechanic, and ordered 32 spokes front and back (in case I decide on front panniers on day).

3.Hubs were decided for me when I jumped on the net and realised how much they were. I allowed for Velocity to install their stock (space sealed cartridge bearing) hubs. The job of the hubs is to allow the wheels to turn freely without picking up grit, and this is what the rear sprockets attach too so the hubs I choose can limit the gearing system options. These allow for 9-speed cassettes which is ideal. You can also check the Rear Dropouts from the first post - this spacing was crucial towards allowing the hubs I wanted to allow the sprockets I want.
The bike so far - not much to it...yet
Velocity DYAD 700c wheel set $550 - (10%) = $495
Due to my project I am now getting 10% off all purchases
Total
Frame Set $1099+
Wheel Set $ 495
$1594

No comments: