Monday, June 8, 2009

The Bike that Phill Built

I've moved on from houses - now I'm builing a bike. After mcuh discussion with a bike mechanic friend of mine (whose name is also Phillip - you might remember him from such entries as Trailwalker 2008) I was advised that it is much more expensive to build one than buy one - but I don't care! Who needs to worry about money during a financial crisis. I've done much background study and I have decided to order my bike piece buy piece. When a new part comes in, I'll order another. It will be a touring machine!!!! Seriously - How hard can it be?
Excuse me! Sir! Mr Bike assisstant - what the hell are these? I bought a frameset, how do these belong to the frame?
The first thing I order was the frameset. This was quite a tough decision that took a bit of research but I finally decided upon a Surly Cross Check in brown (the most ugly colour, but I'm not purchasing for looks.

This is my frame and in baby shit brown - my favourite colour
This is a 52 inch frame that built for options - if I want it I can put it on (nearly). the only thing I can't have are disc brakes, but after mcuh deliberation I decided I'm not going to purchase disc brakes (not necessary) so why extra for a frame that supports them?
I will be transforming this...
...into this
(except way cooler!)

Specs

Tubing:

100% Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded

Rear dropouts:

Semi-horizontal dropouts with adjusters give you single-speed compatibility and wheel base adjustability. Our Gnot-rite spacing (132.5mm) allows you to run 130mm road hubs and 135mm MTB hubs

Braze-ons:

Bosses front and rear to take cantilever or linear-pull brakes, eyelets at the dropouts, rear rack bosses, dual water bottle mounts, downtube shifter bosses

Seatpost diameter:

27.2mm

Seatpost clamp diameter:

30.0mm, Surly Constrictor included

Headset:

1-1/8" threadless

Bottom bracket:

68mm wide, standard English threaded 1.37x24t

Tire clearance:

Fatties Fit Fine (FFF) stays and our beautiful slope-crowned custom fork provide room for tires up to 700 x 45 with mud and fender clearance. For real!

Chainring clearance:

Manipulated stays so you can fit the size rings you want. Go nuts

Color:

Beef Gravy Brown

Weight:

56cm = 4.88 lbs (2.2 kg)
Fork - uncut = 2.19 lbs (.99 kg)

Confused at all these specs? Never fear as I go through and purchase new stuff I describe how it all fits in.
And finally the running cost of it all - the economic setback couldn't have come at a worse time for my little project adding a cool $300 to the cost of the frame (compared to last years model)

Surly Cross Check Frame Set $1099

Next I gotta get me some wheels!

No comments: